The Gillooly Hall is the Community Hall of St. Mary’s Cathedral Parish and is located directly across the road from the Cathedral.
The Hall, formerly known as the ‘Temperance Hall’, was built in 1885 by local architect PJ Kilgallen of Abbeyville to commemorate the late Bishop of Elphin Laurence Gillooly, (1 Dec 1858 – 15 Jan 1895).
The prominent location of the Hall serves to emphasis the relationship between its intended function to reform social habits and the doctrines of the church.
The statue, centrally-located on the front elevation, represents the Bishop in the act of denunciation ‘Ireland sober is Ireland free’.
Unfortunately, we have not yet resumed bookings in the Gillooly Hall. A range of popular activities such as bingo, boxing, flower arranging, art, drama and Slimming World have all been missed dearly over the last 6 months in the usually lively building. We will open our doors again once it is safe to do so.
For further information about the use of our Hall please contact the Parish Office on 071 916 2670 or e-mail email@example.com